What does wellness and being healthy mean to you?
To me right now, wellness means giving myself the permission to take time to take care of myself and to be alone. As an introvert, it means that I have to manage my boundaries, say no when necessary and not feel guilty for not participating and responding to all of the demands all of the time; giving myself the space I need and the freedom to spend quality time with the people I truly love & appreciate. It is about embracing the JOMO – Joy of Missing Out.
Being healthy involves a mix of physical, mental, and emotional aspects that make us who we are – eating real food, getting sufficient sleep, moving my body & sweating it out, spending quiet time before the day starts, love with intention & living authentically
Share with us a funny story related to barre.
My first ever barre class was with Mylene back when Barre 2 Barre opened. You’ll be pretty surprised by this: I hated my first ever barre class. The burn was real & I almost fell down the stairs while climbing down because they felt like jelly.
Yet here I am today, training as an apprentice for Barre 2 Barre – loving the burn, embracing the shakes & completely in love with barre now!
Moral of the story: Don’t rush off after class if you feel like your legs are gonna give way. You don’t wanna risk a bad fall down the stairs haha!
How did you get into BarreAmped and what are your future plans for barre?
In 2018, I wanted to do something for myself – push myself out of my comfort zones, grow my confidence as a person & to find something that I was passionate about. I came across barre when I was exploring different types of workouts. I felt that barre was something that was great for toning, rehabilitation & it challenged me physically & mentally; and I started to toy with the idea of getting certified in barre.
I wanted a training that was well grounded in research, safe (super important to me!) and accredited globally. That being said, I attended different barre studios in Singapore to see which I felt most comfortable practicing & which barre method sat well with me best. Singapore’s lucky to have so many barre studios offering different methods and I’m glad I took the time to attend trial classes.
While doing that, I chanced across Barre 2 Barre Singapore’s Instagram page where they were promoting their teacher training course in Koh Samui, somewhere in March 2018 or so. I prayed about it & did extensive research on the various method before taking the leap of faith!
Attending the BarreAmped Teacher Training was one of the best decisions I’ve made and I am still truly grateful for this opportunity. The trainers were all so knowledgeable, passionate, excitement that same passion has rubbed off me. I really love & appreciate the teachers, mentors & the amazing community!
Exercising safely was extremely important to me as I had really bad shin splints & injured myself pretty badly from really hardcore HIIT classes. Hence, I saw the importance in learning the anatomy, understanding how each muscles gets activated differently through each targeted exercise.
The beauty about the BarreAmped method is the heavy emphasis on form & alignment – if you prioritize good form & alignment in your practice, you’ll really feel the muscle burn even as you move an inch.
Seriously, mind blown.
No further plans for now, but I do hope to continue teaching & spreading my love & passion for the BarreAmped method. I hope to deepen my knowledge in pre/post natal exercises perhaps, or even get certified in Bounce or TRX!
What is your favorite way (aside from barre) to keep fit and find some downtime?
- HIIT Classes at the Gym
I’m pretty active, in general I tend to work out alone and that’s the time that I get to de-stress, recharge & clear my head. If I’m not doing any of that, I’m probably being an absolute grandma, I’ll probably be in bed at around 8:00PM.
List your 3 dinner party dream guests, what would you talk about and what dish would you prepare for them?
Wow this is difficult. I guess realistically speaking; I would have to say my closest friends & family! My family & friends really mean so much to me and I wouldn’t be the person I am without their love and support. That aside, I’d make a really good salad, guacamole & salsa with corn chips & a raw vegan cheesecake. Yum, I feel hungry already.
But I guess if I had to choose 3 special guests, I would have to say:
- Ellen Fisher. She’s this amazing vegan mama who raises her children with so much love & tenderness and has such a wonderful outlook on food.
- Niomi Smart. I think she’d cook really good vegan food so I won’t have to cook hahaha! She’s humble, inspirational & grounded. Needless to say, she has her own vegan cookbook so I could use her recipes – hey hey hey, making sure I score brownie points!!!
- Deliciously Ella. I used to read her blogs & watch her videos when I was exploring a plant-based lifestyle approximately 5 years ago. My boyfriend was in the UK for his exchange program & he surprised me with a signed cookbook! It took a month to get to me but I was truly incredibly happy. I’d probably make her raw vegan cheesecake as well as her quinoa pizza. You have to try it!
List your 3 favorite travel destinations, and list 3 more that you want to travel to and why.
- Melbourne. Hands down! The ocean, the weather (autumn & winter are my favourite!), the food, the plant-based options, the people, the laid-back culture, the crazy good coffee and the list goes on… I truly love Melbourne, it’s my happy place. I’ve been there three times and I can never get sick of it.
- London. I love the weather – it’s cold, it’s gloomy, it’s cold, it’s gloomy, it’s my favourite kind of weather! I love the culture, the people, the scenery, the plant-based options, the coffee & there’s just too much to do in London. I had the opportunity to live & study there for 6 months when I was studying fashion after university. It was truly such a dream and will always have a special place in my heart.
- Berlin. I love how chill & laidback Berlin feels, its rich history (I was a history nerd back in secondary school), the awesome food, wonderful farmers’ markets & so much more! I stayed there for a good one week when I was solo backpacking around Europe & I truly couldn’t get enough of Berlin.
Three more that I really want to travel to:
- Hawaii – Acai, ocean, sand, beach, sun, nature; everything that I love!
- Bali (Omg, who hasn’t been right? Me.) – I’ve seen the crazy cafes with wonderful acai bowls, avocado toasts & the yoga studios. I can’t wait to visit some day
- Canada – I’d love to see Canada in its full winter glory, especially Alberta! I’ve seen crazy YouTube videos on the scenery in the winter – beautiful snow-capped mountains, icy lakes, people decked up in their coats & scarves. I think it’d be such a dream to celebrate Christmas there!